Henry and Anna Overholser had two children: a son who died shortly after birth and a daughter Henry Ione, born in 1905. Henry Ione Overholser married David J. Perry in June 1926. The Perrys lived in the Overholser Mansion with Mrs. Overholser until her death in 1940. Mr. Perry was a pioneer aviator and later the campaign manager for Senator Mike Monroney. The Perrys had no children. In 1937, Mrs. Overholser transferred ownership of the property to her daughter Henry Ione Overholser-Perry. In 1961, the property was transferred to David Perry after the death of his wife Henry Ione in 1959.
In 1972, the Oklahoma Chapter of American Institute of Architects, Historical Preservation Incorporated, and private citizens raised money to match a United States HUD grant to purchase the mansion and furnishings from David Perry. At the time of the mansion’s acquisition, the late Honorable George H. Shirk was president of the Oklahoma Historical Society and the State Historic Preservation Officer, as well as the Mayor of Oklahoma City. Shirk was recognized as a regional leader in the historic preservation movement. The mansion was then donated to the State of Oklahoma. The American Institute of Architects leased and managed the property for the next ten years. When the lease expired in 1982, the Oklahoma Historical Society began maintenance and management of the Overholser Mansion. In October 2003, Preservation Oklahoma entered into an agreement with the Oklahoma Historical Society to manage the Overholser Mansion.